How to write a radio script? This is one the of important thing you have to know if you are starting your career as Radio Jockey. Often we hear Radio Jockey speaking some nice, touching, thoughtful things on air. His voice and thoughts create a visual in our mind and that visual allows us to relate to him. We started liking him and we make our self-available to listen to his show. But have you ever thought, that how does RJ use those nice words, sentences & expressions at the right time? How does he remember all the things and uses that punch in the right place? Well, the answer is SCRIPT.
Script play a very vital role in Radio Jockey’s life & trust me its bit difficult to do your whole radio show without a script. If you are fresher and just starting your career into RJ, so you need have your script in a place.
Before we start talking about how to write a radio script? let’s understand few important and basic rules of writing the radio show script.
Rules of writing a radio show script
- You should not talk anything wrong about any cast, religion & person
- Your information has to be very accurate before it goes to your listener
- You should not talk anything which can hurt anybody’s emotions
So these are few important rules you have to follow before making any radio show script. You can watch this given video to get more update on how to write a radio script.
How to write a radio show script – Link and Different Sections
Radio script is the combination of many links, its a group of many links which turns into Radio Show Script. Now, you guys must be wondering what is this link? and how does it came in between? Let me explain, the Radio show has the standard formate wherein RJ Speaks and immediately after that he plays the song. He comes again talk about something and again he plays the song. So wherever RJ talks in the radio show, that place is called as “link”.
So script has following major sections
- Intro ( First Link ): Wherein RJ introduced himself to the listeners, tell the name of Radio station & his show. He also gives some information about the show topic.
- Middle Link: Middle link is the link where RJ start talking about his topic and give information to the listeners
- Final Link: This is the link where RJ give promise to his listeners that he will meet them on same time, same place with some awesome content
How to choose a topic for Radio script:
Well, I would say, choose the topic you are comfortable with. I often saw people chosen a wrong topic for their shows and they end up with the mess. You can choose any topic, it can be about love, friendship, current affairs, you can also share your personal life experience with the listeners and trust me they love to listen to it.
To start I would suggest take one topic of your own and start running your horses in your mind to be creative. Whatever thoughts are coming to mind, simply note them. do some research on that topic, try to get some interesting fact about that topic. As I said earlier, you can add your own personal experience to make the script more personalized.
Once you have all your thoughts in place, so start writing your first link. Give some of the other info about your topic in the middle links. Sometimes you will not satisfied with the script but writing is an art, which can be developed by the practice. So write at least one script a day (Tip to become a pro scriptwriter)
What content we can add to the Radio Script:
You can add many things in your Radio script to make it more entertaining but I am mentioning few things below.
- Songs details (Story about the songs if any, any interesting facts)
- Current affairs
- Bollywood ( If you are India) Hollywood ( If you are reading this from a different country ) gossips
- National & International events ( Like Cricket matches, football match, voting, shows etc )
- General knowledge (You can give some interesting fact about the day & place)
- Small stories
These are few things you can add to your script to make your script professional and entertaining.
So, guys, these are my few tips on how to write a radio script or how to write a radio show script. It will be really nice if you can put your comment below and share your thoughts about Radio Script.
You can also read my previous blogs Tips to become a radio jockey
I hope you enjoyed reading.